Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

RRJ # 1


Reference: 
Ahlstrom, D. (2011).  Mathematics is universal and ubiquitous. But as with most foreign languages, we tend not to speak it very well.  The Irish Times. Retrieved May 27, 2011, from www.irishtimes.com /newspaper/innovation/2011/0527/1224297520385.html

Summary: 
  This article mainly talk about the importance of mathematics in current international world. At the beginning of this article, the author compare mathematics to a kind of universal language in order to show its wide application. He think that mathematics is the most important tools to communicate with others. Then, he talk about the situation of mathematics in Irish which is not optimistic. In the end of the article, he think mathematicians should make math more simple, and people “need to find the beauty in maths. ”

Reaction: 
The first time I saw the title of this article, I was surprised by the the way that the author compare math to a language. Even I do not think math can replace language in the future, but I agree with the author’s point that how mathematics is universal and ubiquitous. However, this is also the reason that I choose major in applied mathematics. The changing of this world is getting faster and faster. I believe my major can provide me more available selects to become my career. So far, I biased toward financial mathematics as my direction. Through this article, I can be more confident that I choose is sensible and promising. By the way, I am not sure that Chinese people really do better on math because the things I studied in high school is a little bit separated from practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment